In 1896 (Guangxu 22 years) the Qing Dali Temple Shaoqing Sheng Xuanhuaihandling Nanyang college.
In 1897 (Guangxu 23 years) with normal academy, to train the teachers of middle school. Divided into western, Western two. The western part is English, Japanesetwo.
In 1898 (Guangxu 24 years) with translation college. Zhang Yuanji recommended by Li Hongzhang, any translation college affairs and school management.
In 1900 (Guangxu 26 years) located east the (Japanese) school, attached to thetranslation college.
In 1902 (Guangxu 28 years) translated by Yan Fu Adam Simy on economics "wealth"by Nan Yang Translation College publishing. 1910 (Xuantong 2 years) located west of liberal arts. Ask students to study a foreign language, including English Devin,French, Latin. The establishment of English will, school students will be for each classmember, branch.
In 1915 the reset English department. Open English assembly, to reward merit.
In 1922 to develop the "English speech contest rules".
Established in 1928 the Department of foreign languages and literature.
Established in 1934 the Department of foreign languages and literature Russianclass.
In 1956 moved to Xi'an Jiaotong university.
Established in 1979, English for Science & technology, recruit the first batch ofundergraduate students.
In 1983 the first batch of science and technology English major undergraduateenrollment each year since, continuous. After the liberation has been adopted for the"foreign language department" was renamed "the foreign language department".
In 1985 set up the technological Japanese major.
In 1989 the English of science and technology, technological Japanese major began to enroll postgraduates.
Department of Foreign Languages Department of Social Sciences in 1994 with the merger of the school of Humanities and social science.
In 2000, Xi'an Jiao Tong University and Xi'an Medical University, Shaanxi Institute of Finance and economics with. Department of foreign languages, from the school of Humanities and Social Sciences, Xi'an Medical University, with the original Shaanxi finance and economics college foreign language professional combined to set up "the foreign language department".
Established in 2005, the French department, the German department, Department of russian.
In 2006 the foreign language department was renamed the "foreign language school". The English department each year to open Anglo French, Britain and Russia,Yingde class.
In 2010, "Shaw foreign building completed," provides a set of teaching and scientific research, office as one of the facilities for the school.